Q: Rod knocker ticking

Ran out of oil, and the rod knockers were ticking. It still ticks after putting in five quarts of oil.

A: If the engine was starved of oil, there may...

If the engine was starved of oil, there may be some mechanical damage. Oil pressure needs to be checked to ensure that the engine is holding good pressure. If not, then the engine will need to be looked into for possible mechanical damage. Another possibility for a ticking lifter is, since the oil level was low, the lifter may have soaked-up oil, so they are not pumping up properly. However, before any repairs are to be made, the oil pressure needs to be checked. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment to check the engine oil pressure, and recommend the proper course of repair.