Q: I just replaced my idle control valve with a new one and the idle continues to go up and down. Why?

asked by on December 30, 2017

I went yesterday to get a diagnostic on my car and they told me to replace the idle control valve which I did, but the idle continues to go up and down after replacing it with a new part. What else could be the problem?

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have either installed a faulty idle control valve or you may potentially have a bad connector or wiring running to the idle control valve. You can test the functionality of the valve by checking its electrical resistance if you have access to an ohm meter. To do this, disconnect the IAC valve, connect an ohmmeter to pins 2 and 3 of the valve. If you get a resistance value between 10-14 ohms, it indicates IAC valve is working as it should. Next, connect the ohmmeter to pins 1 and 2. If you do not get a resistance value between 10-14 ohms, the IAC valve may need to be replaced.