Q: I just got a P0087 code on my Mercedes.

asked by on October 30, 2016

I just got a P0087 code on my mercedes. It has been having issue in the morning until it warmed up with it not seeming to have power, but once it heated up it was fine. Then the check engine light came on and it reads the fuel rail system is low. Could this be just a fuel filter?

Fuel Pressure Sensor Replacement $118.53 - $998.89 Get a Quote
Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote
Fuel Filter Replacement $83.13 - $270.56 Get a Quote
Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement $111.64 - $903.72 Get a Quote

Hi there. A fuel filter can cause a restriction in the fuel line if the filter is plugged up. If you are getting a P0087 code for fuel pressure rail is low, then put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail and check for the pressure. Check for pressures with the engine off and key on, engine on at idle, and engine on at 2000 rpm. If the pressure is 35 psi or higher, then there is no problem with the fuel pressure and the fuel pressure sensor has failed. If the pressure is low, then the fuel pump could not be working, fuel filter could be plugged up, or the fuel pressure regulator on the rail could have failed. If you need further assistance troubleshooting the fuel system, then seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can assist you with your vehicle.