Q: Transmission

Ok so I bought my truck with transmission problems. I replaced the trans and it seemed to work fine for about 8months then out of the blue it’s starts not wanting to shift out of first when the truck warms up running cold it’s fine will shift. I took it to Edwards transmissions and they told me it was the gov selinoid so instead of replacing that I just bought a used transmission that was Guaranteed to work. The trans has 146000 miles and does the exact same thing the trans I had in it before. Before I assume it’s junk my thoughts want to say it’s something going from the truck to the trans I replaced the speed sensor on the trans just because someone said it could be bad. Did nothing fluids are full need help.

There are some engine controls, such as the throttle position sensor, that affect shift points. As far as the governor solenoid, or the shift solenoids on the valve body, those are electronically controlled and so can be tested to rule them in or out as a cause. However, even a perfectly good solenoid won’t work if the circuit to the solenoid is faulty or has poor connections. There is also a transmission control module, although in earlier OBD-II vehicles some of the logic could be in the ECM. At any rate, what you need to resolve this issue is a pinpoint diagnostic. Once you have that, it will be clear as to what repairs must be implemented. If you request a transmission shift diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will determine the root cause of the problem and let you know of the specific component(s) that must be replaced. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Transmission