Q: Car made a loud ticking sound then everything shut off now it clicks once when i trun the key and all lights work. What happened

My boyfriend was driving his car and he said it made a loud ticking noise and then everything just shut down, no power steering or anything. We tried to jump the car off and all it does is click once and nothinh else. All the lights and radio work as well. I know the oil in it is black as tar too if that makes a difference

Hello, thank you for writing in. The black oil is definitely a problem. The dirty oil is not able to lubricate and guide the components which it is responsible for. This does not typically cause the engine to stall but would cause premature wear on engine components which can stall the engine. Typically the only shut down mode for the engine to protect it when there is a problem is activated by the cooling system, and there is a warning light. The engine oil does help with cooling the engine. This is one of the ways these issues may be related. For complexity, time, and money’s sake you may want to try and diagnose the stall without including the oil as a cause. This means you will want to test the battery, alternator, wires related to these units, and the ground connections. You may be able to scan the vehicle for codes to see if the computer has detected any issues as well.

3. Car made a loud ticking sound then everything shut off now it clicks once when i trun the key and all lights work. What happened