Q: Car won't start - 2011 Lexus ES350

Car won't start. When pressing the start engine button, there is a rapid clicking noise. Tried jump starting the car several times but same issue happened. Everything else in the car still functions including the air conditioning, radio, etc.

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Even though your accessories are still functioning, the rapid clicking noise you are hearing is the battery not having enough power to turn your engine over and start. If your battery does not have at least 12.5 volt it will be very sluggish on starting - your battery should be at 13.5 to 14.5 volt to be a fully charged battery.

You will need to have your battery tested first to determine if its a bad battery or if your alternator is not charging your battery while in operation.

If the battery tests good, the next step would be to test the alternator, and if it test bad you will need to replace it. If you would like to have this all taken care of for you, a technician from YourMechanic can come to you to perform these tests and determine the cause and repair for your vehicle. If you need to have this done, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and have this issue addressed.

3. Car won't start - 2011 Lexus ES350