Q: Transmission making a ticking noise

asked by on February 11, 2016

The transmission in my car is making a ticking noise and sometimes shifts roughly. I just had it serviced, and I am getting no warning lights, and the diagnostic shows no codes that could tell me what the problem is.

Hi. Problems with transmissions usually don’t stay the same, they get worse. It’s hard to say what the ticking noise is. Is it at idle or in motion? A ticking at idle could be a cracked flex plate (flywheel), or loose bolts. There’s a TSB for loose ignition coil bracket bolts. Rough shifting can be a number of things. Codes will set for slipping, or circuit problems, but hard shifts the computer really can’t detect. It could be an internal problem like a broken accumulator spring, or it could be a loose or broken engine or transmission mount. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s noise and repair any other failing component on your vehicle.