Q: Transmission making a ticking noise

asked by on February 11, 2016

The transmission in my car is making a ticking noise and sometimes shifts roughly. I just had it serviced, and I am getting no warning lights, and the diagnostic shows no codes that could tell me what the problem is.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi. Problems with transmissions usually don’t stay the same, they get worse. It’s hard to say what the ticking noise is. Is it at idle or in motion? A ticking at idle could be a cracked flex plate (flywheel), or loose bolts. There’s a TSB for loose ignition coil bracket bolts. Rough shifting can be a number of things. Codes will set for slipping, or circuit problems, but hard shifts the computer really can’t detect. It could be an internal problem like a broken accumulator spring, or it could be a loose or broken engine or transmission mount. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your vehicle’s noise and repair any other failing component on your vehicle.