Q: High RPMs on a 4-cylinder engine

While I was driving and passing a vehicle, I've noticed that the tachometer was showing 5900-6100 RPMs. I think this a pretty high RPM range and my car has a four-cylinder engine. Is this normal? Could high RPMs damage the engine?

A: Your vehicle redlines at 6,600 RPM. If you ...

Your vehicle redlines at 6,600 RPM. If you have an automatic transmission in your vehicle, don’t worry. A properly operating automatic transmission is designed to keep your engine in the correct operating range. The transmission control module will adjust the transmission performance to ensure this. If however, you have a manual transmission, you want to make sure you don’t over-rev the engine. Over-revving can result in internal engine damage and a fat repair bill. If this is the case, feel free to get a second opinion from a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the issue and help suggest the right fix.