Q: Water soaked carpets leaks

asked by on August 29, 2016

It has been raining for days, and I just noticed this morning that I have water soaked carpets in the passenger front side and back of my car. I must have a leak, but where? What should I do about this? And do you know how I can dry my carpets? I don't know very much about cars.

Hello there. A few different items can cause a leak when it rains for the 1996 Oldsmobile Achieva. The most common are a window seal, door seal, damaged door, or sunroof seal if equipped. Any of the seals should be a quick fix once it is determined which is the cause. For the existing water, the best method would be to use a towel or paper towels to absorb as much water as possible - especially if there is any standing water.

After most of the water is soaked up with the towel, you can use a fan to blow air into the car until the carpet dries. With the water on the carpet, there is a chance that the vehicle will develop a smell and any wires that run under the carpet may corrode. If you still need to have the leak found, have a local expert, such as one from YourMechanic, determine what seal is leaking, and the best method for getting it cleaned up if any water damage is still present.