Q: 2001 Subaru Forester clutch sticking half way up. I can use my foot to pull it up rest of the way

On two separate occasions my clutch pedal has stuck half way up. I can use my foot and push the clutch all the way up and changing the gears does not seem to be a problem. Nothing appears to be leaking, the clutch is not making any noise. Clutch pedal feels a bit 'soft' when it is being depressed.

The first thing to try is to bleed the clutch slave cylinder. The clutch has a separate fluid reservoir / master cylinder located to the left (passenger side) of the power brake booster and brake master cylinder. Use something like a turkey baster to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and refill it to the proper level with the correct fluid. The slave cylinder itself is located on top of the transmission just below the air filter box. You will see a bleeder screw on it. Spray a little penetrating oil on the bleeder screw before you start.With the reservoir cap off, loosen the bleeder screw slightly. Press the clutch pedal down. It will stick down to the floor. Re tighten the bleeder screw then pull the clutch pedal back up. Repeat this a few times until clean brake fluid comes out of the bleeder screw. BE SURE to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir and top it off as needed during the bleed process. DO NOT let it run dry. Once done, use some brake cleaner or other solvent to clean up any spilled/splashed brake fluid under the hood. Make sure the reservoir is at the correct level and drive the vehicle. If the problem persists, then in all likelihood, replacement of the clutch slave cylinder will correct the issue. Be sure to replace the flexible rubber hose as well if replacing the slave cylinder is required.

3. 2001 Subaru Forester clutch sticking half way up. I can use my foot to pull it up rest of the way