Q: Battery died, now radio and lights won't work

My battery died, and then the radio stopped working on my 2001 Honda Accord. How can I fix the radio? Also, the light in the radio box does not work anymore. I am not sure if it is a problem with the fuse, or some other problem. Where can I find the code, and how do I fix the light? I already replaced the battery.

A: When your battery died, so did the power to...

When your battery died, so did the power to your radio. This activated an anti-theft feature built into your radio, which puts the radio into a "safe mode" every time power is removed from the radio. This could also be the cause of your radio light not working. Unlocking this safe mode requires you to put in a security code which was provided in the owners manual when the car was originally purchased. Ideally you can find the safe code in the owners manual of the vehicle, though it may have been misplaced over the years. If this is the case, you will need to remove the radio and use the serial number and VIN to obtain the security code from the dealer. If you’re not up to this task yourself, you can reach out to a professional, such as one available from YourMechanic, to get your radio working.