Q: My car shakes sometimes at a stop light, reduced engine peeformance and just recently went into limp mode also check engine light

asked by on October 12, 2016

Was just wondering what that could mean with those symptoms, thank you

It’s hard to tell without doing some further testing. This sounds like a misfire. A misfire can be caused by several components. It would explain the "limp mode", the shaking, and the Check Engine Light.

Misfires are caused by an improper mix of fuel and air, or a bad spark. The first thing to do is run a scan on the system and see what codes were set to make the engine light come on. This will hopefully narrow down the issues, or at least which cylinder is misfiring. Bad spark plugs, fuel filter, and related components are usually the cause.

If you’d like to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come diagnose the Check Engine Light firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs.