Q: Engine overheated, vehicle stalled, but restarted

asked by on August 15, 2016

While I was driving around 60 mph, the temperature gauge lowered to its lowest level. Next, the engine started overheating and then suddenly the engine warning indicator lit up on the instrument panel. It stalled and then my car restarted and seemed to be performing just fine. This problem is intermittent. I went to the dealership for it to be inspected and diagnosed. They told me that the failure was due to a blown head gasket. Before I have them do any work on my vehicle, would you please give me your assessment of this problem and how it should be fixed?

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. A blown head gasket is a very common problem for your Land Rover Freelander. Land Rover does not have an explanation as to why the head gasket repeatedly blows they just repair it. Replacing the head gasket on any vehicle is expensive, especially high end vehicles such as yours. If it is a head gasket I would suggest to sell the vehicle because you will likely have to fix the same problem repeatedly. I suggest having the head gasket tested again by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic to pinpoint the overheating issue and verify it is the head gasket at fault. It may be an issue such as a bad thermostat or coolant temp sensor causing your issue.