Q: My car slowly came back to a stop and now it won't start. Mechanic said it's the timing belt or motor.

asked by on October 26, 2016

Hi my name is Ashley, and I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. This summer while we were driving to Florida the car a car headed back then slowly came to a stop. Then every time we tried to start the car it wouldn't catch.... it's not the oil or fluids. What does it sound like to you. Also some mechanic said it might be the timing belt or motor, if it is that how much would it cost to get fixed?? Please she'd some light for me, Thank you.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hey there. It is very possible that your timing belt may have broken. It is also possible that some internal damage may have occurred to the engine. I would recommend having another mechanic give you a second opinion on what this issue could be. If you need to have this resolved, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the starting issue and follow through with proper repairs. You can enter your vehicle information on our estimator page so that you can get a quote for these services.