Q: Car almost stalled, steering wheel locked up, all lights on dashboard came on, pushed gas pedal and nothing happened.

asked by on March 20, 2017

while driving the car started to sputter, steering wheel locked up then all the lights on the dashboard came on. car came slowly to a stop then started sputtering again. pressed the gas pedal to see if i could move any further, and no sound, no revving, nothing. shut the car off, waited a minute then the car started right back up. pushed the gas pedal all the way to the floor and barely moved. drove it the rest of the way home and every time i let off the gas pedal the car would start to shake.

Hi there. When the engine is stalling and sputtering, this is an indication that the fuel system has lost pressure. Check the fuel pump relay and see if it is hot and if its clicking on when the key is turned on. If the relay is hot when the engine stalls or sputters, then there is an issue with the wiring to and from the fuel pump or the fuel pump maybe weak. For the steering column to lock up, the locking solenoid in the steering column losing power when the engine stalls. This could be an issue with the ignition switch as the solenoid is energized with the key turning in the ’ON’ position. The shaking could be either the brake rotors are worn causing the shaking when the brakes are applied or if the brakes are not applied, then the CV Shafts could have a joint that is felt when loaded when coasting. I suggest checking out the rotors, CV Shafts, the fuel pump relay, and the ignition switch. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling, shaking, and sputtering, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.