Q: How to remove spark plugs in 2012 Volkswagen Jetta

asked by on March 23, 2017

I want to change the spark plugs on my car but do not know how to get to them

Hi there - replacing your spark plugs is fairly straightforward. First the engine cover is removed - this is the large plastic cover over the top of the engine which provides noise insulation as well as being decorative. Pull up firmly at each corner to pop it off. Second - remove the electrical connectors to each ignition coil (there are 4, one over each spark plug), then push the spark plug coil harness to the side. Third - gently pull each coil straight up off the plug. You may have to gently pry each coil upwards and off of the plug - the rubber boot at the base of each coil can grab hold of the plug. Remember these are plastic components that get brittle over time. Fourth - using a spark plug socket and extension, remove all 4 plugs. Installation is the reverse order. REMEMBER to use a small amount of anti-seize paste on the threads of each plug to prevent the plug threads from seizing in the aluminum cylinder head. For professional help, I recommend a spark plug installation service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and perform this maintenance task for you.