Q: Transmission mount

When I put my car in drive it makes a loud thump and feels like something is dropping, does this sound like a transmission mount?

Hi there. It definitely could be a transmission mount. However, it could also be an engine mount. There is a tremendous amount of stress placed on the mounts during vehicle use. When the mount becomes weak and/or fails, it allows for excessive movement of the engine/transmission assembly. A good visual inspection of all the mounts should suffice in determining the which mount/mounts have failed. If there is any contamination from fluid leaks on the mounts, this should be addressed as well. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car is making a loud noise when putting into gear inspection.

3. Transmission mount