Cruise control will not work. cruise control 2002 dodge

Q: Cruise control will not work.

asked by on November 24, 2016

When I turn cruise control on, the light on the dashboard comes on saying cruise on. However when I hit the set button is does not engage cruise control.

Hi there. The cruise control light coming on, leads me to believe the fuse is okay. Not knowing the make or model, makes it difficult to know the type of switch used. A few possibilities for an inoperative cruise control are, a faulty switch even though the light is illuminating, a faulty clock spring with steering wheel controls, a faulty brake release switch disabling the cruise even though the brake pedal is not applied, and a cruise control servo not controlling throttle plate movement. There are other possibilities and proper diagnoses should be performed to avoid unnecessary repairs. I recommend having your vehicle’s inoperative cruise control be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.