Q: I was stopped on the freeway, started to go about 5 mph, the car jerked and stop without warning like the wheels locked up.

I was stopped on the freeway, started to go about 5 mph, the car jerked and stop without warning like the wheels locked up for about 3 minutes. Nothing happened, car wouldn't go, I put car in reverse it went then I put it in drive and it went . I was able to get off freeway and take the streets home. But it kept doing a jerking motion like it wanted to cut out again so when I would gain speed I put car in neutral and coast until needing to stop

Hi, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to try to help. It is hard to definitively diagnose what the issue is. At first it seems like a transmission issue. Automatic transmissions are rather complicated and can do strange things when they malfunction. If not an issue with the transmission, you could also have a clutch issue. Always start by checking the simple components first. Check your transmission fluid level. Make sure your transmission filter is clean and debris free. When you have the transmission pan off, you can look and see if there are any metal shavings at the bottom. There is often a small magnet at the bottom of the pan designed to gather any metal shavings for a quick diagnosis. This is a sign of more serious transmission problems. Unless you have experience with automatic transmissions, it is not recommended that major repairs be done at home. I suggest taking your car to a transmission specialist for help.

3. I was stopped on the freeway, started to go about 5 mph, the car jerked and stop without warning like the wheels locked up.