Q: My car sputters and dies - 2000 Ford Contour

Car was running good all of a sudden speedometer quits car starts sputtering then dies .starts right back up when jumped ..seems like the longer u leave cables on the farther it goes before it does it all over again..done this before about 3 months ago replaced altinater and batterie ..so replace altinater again or what do u think xiukd be going on..if car sits over nite it will start right up without being jumped but rpm s are high sounds like it's running away with its self. Rpm around 5 ..what's wrong ..please help

Hi there. From the description you have provided, it leads me to believe there is a charging system problem. Apparently, the battery is being run down while driving. A good battery will recover on its own when it sits overnight. This would account for not having to jump start in the morning. Your replacing the alternator twice leads me to believe that there is an electrical problem to the alternator or from the alternator to the battery.

Circuit tests need to be performed to properly diagnose why the alternator is not working. The engine RPM issues when you start your vehicle in the morning needs to be properly diagnosed. It could be vacuum leaks, throttle plate sticking, idle air control valve fault, among other possibilities.

I recommend having your vehicle’s sputtering and dying inspected and the fact that the engine RPM is around 5 be diagnosed by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. My car sputters and dies - 2000 Ford Contour