Q: I have a broken water pump and now the car wont start without a jump. What could that be?

The car has a broken water pump and now it wont start without a jump. What could that be?

A: Hello. From what you describe I would say t...

Hello. From what you describe I would say that your vehicle is experiencing 2 separate issues. A broken water pump is a serious problem, that can cause overheating and serious engine damage, but will rarely ever affect the vehicle's starting ability. Though it may not fix the starting issue, I would replace the water pump as soon as possible to prevent the vehicle from overheating.

If the vehicle will not start without a jump, then the first thing I would check is the vehicle's battery. A weak or bad battery may not provide enough cranking power to successfully turn over the engine, and may result in a no start no crank condition. Similar symptoms can also be caused by a a faulty starter. If you want to have this looked at by a professional, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and follow through with repairs.