Q: Car won't start. When trying to start, starter makes a clicking noise and then closed back hatch recloses.

Vehicle won't start. Starter makes a clicking noise, lights go on, but won't start. The back hatch, which is closed, recloses itself. After a couple more attempts to start car, the back hatch recloses itself. When vehicle is boosted, car starts. Subaru said the hatch was not aligned and fixed that. Two days later, vehicle wouldn't start, but back hatch was never opened. Same problem all over again. Had to boost it again. Vehicle is a 4 cyclinder and has all the bells and whistles. Started off and on about a year ago and has done it through summer, so cold weather is not an issued.

A: It sounds like there is some type of drain ...

It sounds like there is some type of drain on the battery. When there is low voltage in a battery, it can cause several symptoms. The electrical systems can act very strangely when they don’t have the correct voltage being supplied. When a battery won’t hold a charge, it can be caused by a wiring issue, a bad battery, or some type of parasitic draw that can slowly pull voltage from the battery. Some electrical diagnosis done by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be necessary to pinpoint the cause.