Q: Rattling sound when idling

My 05 f150 lariat rattles real hard when idling or in reverse, I've been told it could be a timing chain. Other than this the truck runs and sounds great until I'm stoped for a period of time or if I'm backing up in my yard( on dirt not a driveway). Do you know what the problem may be?

Hi There, This could be a number of things, however a common rattling that may be heard when idling when in gear could be a loose exhaust heat shield. This is somewhat common as heat shields tend to come loose as a result of the change in heat and vibration over time. A loose timing chain would generally cause much more serious symptoms that would usually cause the truck to not run properly as this may cause issues with valve train components. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your truck.

3. Rattling sound when idling