Q: Hi, my engine light has started to flash and my car is shuddering and getting worse - especially when stationary. The engine light

asked by on March 07, 2017

Hi, my engine light has started to flash and my car is shuddering and getting worse - especially when stationary. The engine light has stopped flashing however it comes back on again if the car goes over 30/40 and only stops flashing if you reduce the speed. Any ideas what this is and why it is happening? Also is the car safe to drive , I'm worried it will break down until I get chance to have somebody look at it? It's an 06 Fiat Punto.

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The symptoms you are having can come from a range of different issues with the vehicle. There may be a sensor that is failing, low fuel pressure, a spark and ignition issue, or an air intake system problem. With the check engine light coming on, the computer has detected an issue, and you will want to scan the vehicle for diagnostic codes. These codes will hopefully shed some light on the situation, and point you in the direction of the system which is malfunctioning. Without the codes, you will want to check into the throttle position sensor, air flow sensors, the idle air control valve, and others as you go through the diagnostic process. For more help with scanning the vehicle and further testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.