Q: My 2004 Ford Explorer has the service engine light on and possible issue EGR

asked by on October 14, 2016

What, if any, is difference in DPFE sensor and EGR valve? Is this something a shade tree mechanic can replace, or should I take to a professional? I don't want to spend money needlessly working on parts I am not familiar with.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation/EGR Valve Replacement $144.81 - $916.86 Get a Quote

Hi there. The DPFE sensor is a sensor that checks for changes in exhaust pressure when the EGR valve system is turned on. These are two separate parts on most vehicle. This engine actually has the sensor and the valve contained in one part so it will be replaced as a unit. It is located towards the rear of the intake manifold. I usually check and make sure that the electrical part of the circuit is working right and that the passages for the EGR system are clear prior to replacing the valve. If they are fine then I replace it. If you want to have this EGR problem fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr