Q: Q: Car won't start. It only makes a clicking noise.

My car won't start when i turn the key its only making clicking noise.

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. If you are getting a clicking sound when trying to start your vehicle that is a very good indication that your battery is dead.

Perform a battery voltage test and make sure there is at least 12.5 volts (fully charged is 13.5 - 14.5 volts). If you do not get this reading you will need to replace your battery.

If the voltage is within spec, you may have a ground issue. Check your ground cable for corrosion, if it is loose - both at the battery and at the point where it connects to the engine block. If your negative (black) cable is corroded it will need to be replaced.

If you would consider, YourMechanic will send a certified technician to you and perform these tests to accurately diagnose your no start condition and make any necessary repairs. Thank you!

3. Q: Car won't start. It only makes a clicking noise.