Q: What is the typical price to repair brakes on a 1991 VW Cabriolet?

asked by on December 26, 2016

A mechanic quoted me $429.00 to replace breaks on my VW 1991 Cabriolet. I think it's too high. He also quoted me $350 to replace the exhaust, $375.00 to replace the axle. What questions should I ask them. He did not say where he will be putting in new axle or rebuilding it not did he say what he will be fixing on the axle.

Hello: If the price quote you received for the brake service includes new rotors, pads and labor for all four brakes, then the quote you listed is average for local mechanics or shops. Dealerships would charge in excess of $500 for this service. If the quote is for front brakes, it’s a bit high. In regards to the other services quoted, you should get a detailed listing of all repairs and service they will be performing, so you can determine if the price quote is accurate and fair. Once you receive those details from the mechanic, contact our team to receive a quote for similar services.