Q: My car stutters after driving it for a few minutes - 2002 Toyota

asked by on November 02, 2016

My car have been sitting in the garage for 8 years. When i decided to start driving the car i had to replace the fuel pump because the car wouldn't start. After replacing the fuel pump the car started up. One week later the car started stutter starting. A diagnostic test was done on my fuel pump it was at 50psi instead of 60psi where it should be. I hesitate to replace the fuel pump because the car start up fine in the morning but stutter start after i drive it a while. Do you think something else is causing the fuel pump to lose pressure?

This may also be caused by what is called the fuel pressure regulator. This is a unit that helps to maintain the fuel pressure at the proper level. When this is not working properly, the fuel pump may be pumping properly, but the fuel may not arrive at the fuel injectors at the proper psi. When this happens, this can cause a lean fuel condition which may cause the car to hesitate, misfire or stall. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel pressure.