Q: Q: What should I do if I have a flat tire?

What should I do if I have a flat tire?

Hopefully, you won’t experience this particular situation, but if you drive long enough, chances are good that you’ll eventually have a flat. Knowing what to do will help you deal with the situation quickly and easily. Here are the steps to take:

1. Pull over somewhere safe. Make sure the area is paved and flat.

2. Engage the parking brake.

3. Put the car in park.

4. Turn off the engine.

5. Turn on the hazard lights.

6. Get the jack and tools from the back of the car (they’re located inside storage areas to the left and right in the cargo area).

7. Remove the spare tire.

8. Close the back door.

9. Chock the tire directly diagonal from the flat.

10. If you have steel wheels, remove the wheel cover. If you have aluminum wheels, remove the plastic center cap.

11. Loosen the lug nuts but do not remove them.

12. Set the jack under the car, beneath one of the noted lift points.

13. Raise the vehicle with the jack.

14. Remove the lug nuts.

15. Pull the flat tire/wheel off.

16. Install the spare.

17. Hand tighten the lug nuts.

18. Lower the jack to let the car down.

19. Tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench, following a star pattern. Do not over tighten them.

20. Store the flat tire in the spare tire’s mounting location.

21. Replace the jack and tools.

22. Have your tire repaired or replaced.

3. Q: What should I do if I have a flat tire?