Q: It's going 20 miles per hour in 3rd gear. The car was in reverse and wouldn't move but it will accelerate.

asked by on November 19, 2016

It was going 20 miles per hour while on 3rd gear I have the car in reverse and it would not move I push the gas it accelerate but it wouldn't move I left the car off for a few days warm it up put it in reverse and now it moves but still will be on 3rd Gear Running 20 miles per hour

Hi there. The transmission is in limp mode to only go in 3rd gear. The reverse not working and then all of a sudden it works, but will not accelerate past 20 mph, then either the transmission is slipping or the range selector has failed. Check the range selector sensor and see if the harness is attached. Make sure that there is power to the sensor and that the sensor is not loose or cracked. If you replace the range selector sensor and are still having the same problem, then the transmission is probably slipping or the torque converter has failed. If you need further assistance with your vehicle only going 20 miles per hour, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.