Q: Blue smoke from exhaust now and again

Blue smoke from exhaust after about 10 miles of driving

A: Hi there! Blue smoke coming from the vehicl...

Hi there! Blue smoke coming from the vehicle's exhaust is typically an indication of two mechanical component failures. First, when the smoke comes out while the vehicle is accelerating, it's commonly caused by damaged piston rings. Piston rings can wear out over time - especially if routine oil changes have not been very routine. The other potential cause is a problem with the cylinder head valve guides. In this case, the blue smoke will appear during deceleration.

There are two things that you can do to verify that this is burning oil. First, check your oil level every few days to see if it's lowering. If so, make sure to add oil to keep it topped off. I would then contact one of our local ASE certified mechanics who can complete a smoke from engine or exhaust inspection for you, and then can follow through with the precise repair or adjustment.