Q: Engine revving very high and very hard to brake

asked by on April 24, 2017

After getting gas this morning, when I tried to start my car there was a pop or something. Not completely sure because I had my headphones in (I know), but at that point it did not start. So I tried again, but when it started it revved between 2-3k rpm which of course was strange and it would continue to rev that high when I drove it, but it would rev between 4-5k when applying the brake. I have no clue what happened. Please help.

The pop you heard was probably a backfire through the intake. When that happened, it likely blew a vacuum hose off of the intake. Now the engine has a large air leak that is causing it to idle high and preventing it from building up vacuum to operate the brake booster. Look under the hood for a hose or rubber fitting that is not connected. You will probably be able to find it and put it right back on. If you can’t sort this out, you can contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Saturn and let you know what it will take to fix it.