Q: How does the coolant temperature gauge work?

How does the coolant temperature gauge work?

A: Keeping your engine within its normal opera...

Keeping your engine within its normal operating range is of critical importance. If the engine gets too hot, serious damage can result. The engine coolant temperature gauge in the dash of your car gives you the means to track that temperature and make sure that it stays within the safe range. The gauge runs from cold on the left to hot on the right. Under normal conditions, the needle should stay somewhere in the middle. If it starts edging into the red area to the right, it means that the engine is beginning to overheat.

Tip

If the needle gets into the red/hot zone, find somewhere safe to pull over. Turn off the engine and let it cool down.