Q: Car hesitates while accelerating, EGR valve is a recurring issue - 1999 Isuzu Amigo

asked by on September 28, 2016

My car hesitates when I try to accelerate. This occurs usually when I'm driving on the highway. When I drive in the city traffic, this doesn't happen. It also occurs that after I get off the highway and back to city, my car sometimes shuts off while being stopped in the traffic. I had the codes read and the one that came up indicated the EGR issue. I had the EGR valve replaced, but that didn't solve the problem. I looked around the EGR valve and saw that the wires connected to it had a loose tape. I had that replaced. Afterwards, it seemed that the car ran better. The car still hesitates when I accelerate though, so I don't think that the problem is solved. Do you have any suggestions what I could do to fix this?

Hello. If replacing the EGR valve did not fix the issue, then the EGR valve was likely not the failed component. I would check to make sure that there are no exhaust leaks in the EGR system, as any of the components or plumbing can cause the vehicle to experience performance issues. The EGR system mostly operates at cruising speeds, such as when traveling on the highway. So it may very well be possible that there is a leak somewhere or that a component has failed. I would recommend getting a proper diagnosis of the hesitation problem to determine what the correct repair may be.