Q: Spits and sputters in higher rpm

My question is about a poor running 1978..305.. Recently I replaced the points, condenser, cap, and rotor. I set the points at .019. She was running fine 'till I got my fingers in her. She idles fine and at low rpm is OK but when she gets to about 2000rpm she starts to miss....please help

A: Hey there. You need to try and reset the po...

Hey there. You need to try and reset the point gap to .025 and then run the engine again. You should also get a spark tester and see how much power your coil is putting out. If it is not able to jump a 1/2 inch gap, then the coil is weak and will cause the spark to be too weak to get the engine going much above 2000 rpms. You may want to replace the coil and also check the spark to plugs to make sure it is okay. If you need a diagnostic of the vehicle, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the stuttering problem in order to have this corrected.