Q: Automatic Trunk open/close feature not working but button lights up. I soldiered broken wires back together - reset?

asked by on October 10, 2016

I had to jump my car sometime back in June and when I did, the trunk (where the battery is located) stopped opening and closing from the open/close trunk button. The light was dim when I bought the car for the trunk close button and after that jump with a manual trunk open by my hands - the light no longer lit up. I took apart the trunk - located the hinges corner wire assembly and soldered the broken wire back together - now, the light illuminates again and so does the door lock button right next to the trunk close button. The door lock button works as should but the trunk will not close so I have been manually opening and closing the trunk. I've read that the button wont work because the CPU for the trunk doesn't know where the mechanical arm is located to tell it how far to close - can you reset?

Hello, thanks for writing in. Most of the time this is caused by a programming issue with the control module. It usually occurs if the module fails or if there is a loss of power. It can also occur if the batter is jumper improperly but most of the time you will have other issues also. If the battery was jumped correctly then I usually start by reprogramming the control module just to see if it will accept the programming. If it will not, then a new module will probably need to be installed and programmed to the vehicle. Not many places have the equipment to do this, so it is usually best left to the dealer where you got your car. I recommend having one of our certified automotive technicians from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect, diagnose, and repair the issue for you.