Q: Does changing fuel pump from electric to mechanical cause loss of engine power?

I am trying to buy a 2002 Ford Focus zx3. The current owner has changed his fuel pump from electric to mechanical due to the problems the electric one caused.

Also he said that he had limit the maximal speed of the car for a more economical usage. However I have my doubts.

Someone told me that changing the fuel pump from electric to mechanical lowers the engine power thus leading to a smaller maximal speed of the car. Is that true or it's something I shouldn't worry about?

Thanks in advance!

A: All the Ford Focus gasoline engines have an...

All the Ford Focus gasoline engines have an electric fuel pump in the fuel tank and were never equipped to have a mechanical fuel pump since fuel injection systems have been used. You should be aware of any vehicle with modifications to its systems.

If you are considering getting a new fuel pump, have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or business and perform a replacement.