Q: The convertible top stopped working suddenly.

I recently bought this used Beetle and it's been working just fine. I've been using the convertible top for the last couple of weeks with no trouble. The last time being a day and 1/2 ago. But today, I went out to the garage where it's kept (not out in the elements) started it up and decided to put down the top. I unlocked the lid, pulled the button and nothing happened. I put all the windows up and tried again. This time the windows went down a bit like usual, and I could hear the motor whirring, and the indicator light was lit, but the top did nothing. So I looked online. I found a supposed reset procedure where you put the windows up and down several times, engine on, then off, then on. Still nothing. The roof indicator light DID blink when I did that. But still no movement. I hear the hum of the lift mechanism so it can't be electrical (or can it?). A fuse maybe? Help! Thanks.

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 2006 Volkswagen Beetle convertible top to not function. It is great that you have performed the reset procedure already as that is typically the first step in diagnosis. In most cases when the electrical noise is heard and the convertible top motor is heard trying to work this indicates that the top is receiving power. Common faults that will cause your top to not work are the convertible top motor, top switch, position sensor, or a wiring harness fault. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your convertibles electronic issue and make any repairs required.

3. The convertible top stopped working suddenly.