Q: Hi Noe, This is my question. I have a 2006 VW TDI 1.9 and it leaks antifreeze from the reseivour tank at the cap pressure relieve

asked by on February 06, 2017

This Jetta was replaced with a used head cylinder a year ago because the timing belt break out. After the repair, the car is starting but with hesitation a little bit, but once is running there is a very smooth running engine. the leaking is a concern since it come from the reservoir tank. I make a visual inspection under the engine and above the engine compartment and no leaking was observed elsewhere with the car engine running and stopped wonder if the head cylinder gasket or some other source of pressure may be injecting this pressure into the cooling system, please advise what should I do

Hi there. It sounds like there may be combustion gases entering the cooling system. The hard starting could be due to coolant in the combustion chamber upon startup; the coolant leaks into the cylinder during a cold soak. There could be an issue with the cylinder head, the cylinder head gasket, the quality of repair performed, the block casting, etc.... There are tests available that qualified technicians perform to determine what, if any, leaks are occurring. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a coolant leak inspection.