Q: i have a cvt transmission. can i replace it with any other transmissions that is not cvt?

asked by on June 26, 2016

need new transmission

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

The short answer is, no you cannot. The transmission control module and the entire powertrain wiring harness are designed for the car to have the exact CVT transmission. Despite the terrible reliability of these CVT transmissions, it is your only practical option for replacement.

The long answer is yes, anything is possible with enough money. You could have someone completely replace the transmission, wiring harness, computer and all associated mounts and hardware to a more traditional automatic or manual transmission, but this would require quite a bit of custom work and would VERY quickly exceed the value of the car. Custom work like this can often approach, if not exceed, $5,000-$10,000 in custom fabrication, wiring harness fabrication, and sourcing out all the necessary parts.

Despite the fact that anything is possible with money, for the amount it would cost to switch to a more reliable type of transmission, you could easily purchase a newer vehicle with a much better transmission stock.