Q: Stiff steering and clicking noise with loss of power

asked by on June 21, 2017

Recently had to replace my alternator. At the same time of this the airbag sensors shorted out. Since this replacement I now have the problem When driving at high or low speeds occasional clicking noise from steering column area. When this happens the cruise control and AC with shut off. Steering becomes stiff. That has also happened when cruise control is not engaged. This happens randomly and for about 30 seconds to a minute. Today is happened 3 times in a 40 minute drive. Last week was told by mechanic that there was nothing wrong / no code errors.

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The problem with inconsistent issues like this is that in most cases, it will require a mechanic to replicate the symptom to determine what might be causing the problem. In most cases, what you are describing is typically due to a problem with the electric power steering module on the steering column, or specifically a sensor or wiring harness that is faulty, corroded with debris or loose. This will cause the steering to feel ’heavy’ and can cause the clicking noise you’re talking about. The problem is that it doesn’t always trigger an error code. It is also possible that this is a mechanical problem with a steering system component or a worn bushing. It is probably best to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location to complete a steering wheel is hard to turn inspection, so they can isolate the root source of your problem and recommend the right repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr