Q: Clutch will not move and the car is stuck

99 ford ranger, clutch stuck at top will not move and I cannot start or move vehicle. Anti-theft light is blinking also.

Hi there. There are a couple of possibilities for your clutch issue - the throwout bearing may have worn enough to lock with the pressure plate, the clutch pedal and rod to the clutch master cylinder may be misadjusted so that it is in an over-center position and won’t return, or simply air in the hydraulic line for the clutch.

This model is particularly hard to bleed the clutch system - a pressure bleeder from the slave cylinder will be more effective than the usual "top down" bleeding. I would recommend having a clutch is not working inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost for repairs.

The anti-theft light issue could be a dead battery in your key fob (try another, known working key), lost "pairing" between the key fob and vehicle reader. Try locking the doors with the key (not remote), wait 3 minutes to open the driver door with the key, and start the engine. This should clear the anti-theft.

3. Clutch will not move and the car is stuck