Q: Radio stays on after key is removed and car exited

When I take out the key and exit my car, the radio stays on. I have to manually hit the On/Off switch. I researched in the car manual, but didn’t find any information for this; however, it says that without a key the radio will stay on for a whole hour. I need the radio to turn off, like normally. Everything was fine with this car until last night. I know that I didn’t change any settings that would have affected the radio. Would you please tell me how I can get this radio to turn off?

Hello. If this is the factory radio then you more than likely have an issue with the retained accessory power system. This is what allows the system to retain power when the key is off until the door is open. It may be a relay failure or a failure in the module that controls this. I typically take a voltage meter to see if it is the relay or the module. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you home or office to diagnose the issue with your radio and help you repair it.

3. Radio stays on after key is removed and car exited