Q: Noise in engine - 1999 Jeep Wrangler

asked by on September 03, 2016

I have a jeep that has a really bad and loud clicking noise coming from its engine. The car is still driving and other than the noise it's a great car. So once I hit the gas the noise coming from the engine stops entirely but resumes when I stop hitting the gas. What can it be? It's a 1999 jeep wrangler tj (no ac) 2.5 cylinder.

A clicking sound could be many things. However, a critical clicking noise may be an issue of low oil in the motor, which could cause the clicking sound you describe and would go away as the engine RPM’s increase due to the increase in oil pressure. I would recommend checking the oil to be sure it has the proper amount of oil. If this does not solve the issue, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose the noise and assist with repair.