Q: Car slowing and stalling

asked by on February 16, 2016

The battery and oil lamp light come on when the car slows down. The car will stop and turn off if I let it idle, or if I do not keep my foot on the gas pedal. Once it does stall, I can restart the car again, and keep driving, but I never know when the car will slow and come to a stop once I get under a certain speed. The battery was recently replaced. Oil was also out in the car, though it is due an oil change.

The oil lamp will illuminate whenever engine oil pressure is too low. The battery light will also illuminate whenever voltage is too low. The problem may be with your vehicle charging system i.e., your alternator. If your oil level is low, the engine oil pressure will also be low due to a lack of oil volume in the crank case. Additionally, if the oil filter is dirty it will create a restriction to the oil pump and cause low oil pressure at lower RPM. I suggest having a trained technician look at the vehicle over to find the cause of the stalling issues you are experiencing.