Q: Can't figure out what's wrong with my car?

My Car has a flashing engine light. My car starts up hard and shakes while driving. It shakes real bad at a complete stop, or if the stop light is too long the car dies. I've already replaced the spark plugs, but my mechanic can't figure out what's wrong with it. any ideas?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be suffering from several different issues. One of which is spark, and replacing the spark plugs was a great start. Secondly to the plugs however, are the spark plug wires and the distributor. Both of these will need to be inspected as well. If the ignition system is working correctly, then you will want to test the fuel system. This can be done by testing the fuel pressure available at the engine with a gauge. If the pressure is lower than specification, then you are needing a new pump, filter, or have a clog. However with the check engine light on, the computer is telling you there is an issue and it wants to tell you something. The check engine light will set a diagnostic troubleshooting code. These codes are designed to help guide you to the sensors or components that are not working correctly. Start by having the vehicle scanned for codes. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.