Q: Will the Check Engine Light turn off by itself or do I need to manually turn it off after I fix the problem?

My check engine light came on and the code read a evap two way valve leak. I fixed my gas cap which is where I smelled the gas leak. Will the check engine light turn off itself or do I need to turn it off?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in. The compu...

Hey there, thanks for writing in. The computer for this year will not turn off the light on its own until the Check Engine Light is turned off using a scanner. The Check Engine Light should be scanned to document all the codes and then you can clear the codes from memory. Once the codes are cleared the Check Engine Light will go out as long as there is no more failures that would turn the light back on and set another code. If you need assistance with this, have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your Check Engine Light firsthand to turn it off or address any issues if necessary.