Q: My 2003 BMW 330Xi recently started taching much higher than usual while driving.

I can be moving and then give it some gas, it is not nearly as responsive as it was and will top out around 4K and then gradually pick up speed. I am guessing a transmission issue, but I am not sure since it does engage fine, just does not seem to shift when it should

This may indicate a failing speed sensor. The transmission speed sensor is a magnetic sensor that provides information related to the speed of the input and output shafts in the transmission, allowing the transmission to shift smoothly. The sensor counts the internal number of revolutions of the transmission and transmits that information to the transmission control unit, where the data is used to determine the rotational speed. As the rotation increases, the control unit directs the changing of gears. When this is not working properly, this may cause the transmission to shift erratically or in some cases not at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.

• My 2003 BMW 330Xi recently started taching much higher than usual while driving.