Q: Idle problems when stopped. Car stops running. 4WD and Check engine lights on and solid. Gas cap tightened to verify

asked by on February 02, 2017

I drove 180miles one way for work yesterday. About 50 miles after a gas fill, my check engine light came on along with 4WD and possibly another light, all solid. I checked the gas cap and verified it was tight. Lights still didn't go off after another 180 miles. Today, I stopped for gas again and when I went to start the car, the idle was low and it shut off. Took a couple of times to restart, but worked fine as long as I was giving it gas. Next time I stopped, no idle problems. Restarted after about an hour of being off and it didn't have any problems starting but the lights are still on. Tried fuel injector cleaner as well, but have only driven about 5 miles since used.

What you are describing sounds like a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This sensor relays vital information to the ECM which uses this to make adjustments to fuel supply to the motor. A dirty or faulty sensor can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.