Q: Car vibrating and shaking with the smell coming from the muffler

Recently, my vehicle started to show check engine light on. I changed the oil. The car vibrates and shakes with awful smell that seems to be coming from the muffler. Why is this happening? thanks in advance.

A: The awful smell your referring to is probab...

The awful smell your referring to is probably the catalytic converter being damaged. When there is a severe misfire, like what you’re describing, the catalytic converter will deteriorate, resulting in a sulfur smell. Of course, the misfire will also illuminate the Check Engine Light. I suggest you have this problem remedied as soon as possible to prevent any further damage. There are countless reasons for a misfire, so this job is best left to a professional. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option, as they can come to your home or office to inspect the smell, diagnose your car’s shaking issue, and perform any repairs that are needed for your situation.